Wednesday, May 2, 2018
How to Live to 100
At work, I write stories for a health channel I created called How to Live to 100. Having done a tonne of research on health, I thought I'd summarise my findings in this post, along with links to evidence. So, to have the best chance of living to 100...
1. Don't eat meat. Seriously: Harvard says a third of early deaths could be prevented by giving up meat.
2. If you really want to live a long life, give up all animal products and become vegan. Animal products are really bad for you. (Except for honey. Honey's good for you.)
3. Do the following:
- don't smoke (of course)
- drink very little alcohol (preferably red wine) or none at all
- exercise five days a week for 30 minutes to an hour each time
- sleep seven hours a night
- drink coffee
- drink loads of green tea - 4+ cups a day
- have plenty of friends and close relationships
- eat loads of fruit and veg
- maintain a normal BMI
- get and stay happily married
I fall down on the last two and I sleep a whopping ten hours a night, but I do all the rest.
Of course, if you get hit by a bus (even an atheist bus), none of this will matter! But it's probably wise to live healthily and assume you won't.